[Axiom-developer] [Streams] infinite streams

From: billpage
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [Streams] infinite streams
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:59:31 -0600

Changes http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Streams/diff
--
unknown asked:

> how AXIOM can find out when complete has computed all
> members of the stream

That's a good question and it shows I answered your last
question a little too quickly!

I understand that you mean we can write for example
\begin{axiom}
p1:=[p for p in smallPrimes while p < 1200]
p2:=[p for p in smallPrimes | p < 1200]
\end{axiom}

And we can compute:
\begin{axiom}
# entries complete p1
\end{axiom}

But the following command will not complete::

  # entries complete p2

because Axiom does not try to prove even the simple fact
that '| p < 1200' can never be satisfied for some p > 1200.

So I withdraw my statement:

> In this example the while clause and the | notation
> (which is read: such that) are equivalent.

Clearly they are not equivalent. :(
--
forwarded from http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/address@hidden