[Axiom-developer] French translation

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] French translation
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:29:08 -0500

Jean-Christophe, Frederic, David,

Jean-Christophe Helary has started looking at the problem of translating
Axiom to French.

Frederic Lehobey and David Mentre have also started looking at the problem.

> As far as your message file is concerned I will convert it to a
> simple key=value for parsing purposes and will deliver the French is
> the original format. I would like to know if you have currently
> French people in the development team who could help me with
> difficult items ?

Frederic and David are both native french speakers.  They have also
considered the translation problem (thus my comment about po4a which
they mentioned). A French version of Axiom would be most interesting.

> Tim, I have a question concerning control charaters:
>
> > is here. There are also some "control characters", %b is bold, %1, %
> > 2, etc
> > refer to the arguments for the message, %l is a newline, etc.
> > S2CD0001
> >  %b Constructor documentation warnings (++ comments): %d
>
> Would be:
>
> > S2CD0001
> >  %b Alertes du constructeur de documentation (++ commentaires): %d
>
> But:
>
> > S2CD0002
> >  %1 The constructor %2b has missing documentation.
>
> would be what ?
>
> Where does %1 fit in the output ?
>
> Same here:
>
> > S2CD0003
> >  %x3 %1 The constructor %2b is missing the heading description.
>
> for %x3 and %1 ?
>
> etc.
>
> Could you give me an output example for a few pairs using such place
> holders ?

Yes, I'll try to construct an example of each error message. It may
take a while so they'll come in groups.

In general I think we should consider changing the string control
characters to use common lisp syntax and semantics. This won't be
a simple job but is probably best for the long term. I can look at
that problem.

> I am currently looking for more info about Latex so that I can
> produce a correct Latex file in French too. I have no idea about
> Latex syntax :)

Latex is essentially a document markup language. Latex commands all
begin with "\" and then a word, possibly with parameters. So making
something bold would be:

  \bf thing

the other syntax is the use of the "$" to delimit mathematics so
math "inline" in the sentence has 1 "$" delimiter like $x=y$ and
math in its own box outside the line has 2 "$" delimiters like
$$x=y$$. Beyond that the rest is generally text.

> Also, you mentioned the hyperdoc system. DO you have a file sample ?

Many. I've attached an example.

I'd suggest you go to savannah.nongnu.org/projects/axiom and sign up
for the axiom-developer mailing list where we discuss these issues.
In any case, please copy address@hidden so we can journal
the discussion.

% Copyright The Numerical Algorithms Group Limited 1992-94. All rights reserved.
% !! DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BY HAND !! Created by ht.awk.
\newcommand{\OneDimensionalArrayXmpTitle}{OneDimensionalArray}
\newcommand{\OneDimensionalArrayXmpNumber}{9.57}
%
% =====================================================================
\begin{page}{OneDimensionalArrayXmpPage}{9.57 OneDimensionalArray}
% =====================================================================
\beginscroll
The \spadtype{OneDimensionalArray} domain is used for storing data in a
one-dimensional indexed data structure.
Such an array is a homogeneous data structure in that all the entries of
the array must belong to the same \Language{} domain.
Each array has a fixed length specified by the user and arrays are not
extensible.
The indexing of one-dimensional arrays is one-based.
This means that the ``first'' element of an array is given the index
\spad{1}.
See also \downlink{`Vector'}{VectorXmpPage}\ignore{Vector} and
\downlink{`FlexibleArray'}{FlexibleArrayXmpPage}\ignore{FlexibleArray}.
\xtc{
To create a one-dimensional array, apply the
operation \spadfun{oneDimensionalArray} to a list.
}{
\spadpaste{oneDimensionalArray [i**2 for i in 1..10]}
}
\xtc{
Another approach is to first create \spad{a}, a one-dimensional array of 10
\spad{0}'s.
\spadtype{OneDimensionalArray} has the convenient abbreviation
\spadtype{ARRAY1}.
}{
\spadpaste{a : ARRAY1 INT := new(10,0)\bound{a}}
}
\xtc{
Set each \spad{i}th element to i, then display the result.
}{
\spadpaste{for i in 1..10 repeat a.i := i; a\bound{a1}\free{a}}
}
\xtc{
Square each element by mapping the function
\texht{$i \mapsto i^2$}{i +-> i**2} onto each element.
}{
\spadpaste{map!(i +-> i ** 2,a); a\bound{a3}\free{a2}}
}
\xtc{
Reverse the elements in place.
}{
\spadpaste{reverse! a\bound{a4}\free{a3}}
}
\xtc{
Swap the \spad{4}th and \spad{5}th element.
}{
\spadpaste{swap!(a,4,5); a\bound{a5}\free{a4}}
}
\xtc{
Sort the elements in place.
}{
\spadpaste{sort! a \bound{a6}\free{a5}}
}
\xtc{
Create a new one-dimensional array \spad{b} containing the last 5 elements of
\spad{a}.
}{
\spadpaste{b := a(6..10)\bound{b}\free{a6}}
}
\xtc{
Replace the first 5 elements of \spad{a} with those of \spad{b}.
}{
\spadpaste{copyInto!(a,b,1)\free{b}}
}

\endscroll