RE: [Axiom-developer] B#

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] B#
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:48:51 -0500

On March 23, 2006 10:14 AM C Y asked:
> Alright, it's now imperative - we MUST free Aldor somehow!
> If it can resolve/remove the old BOOT vs. Lisp code debate,
> clearly there is nothing it can't do!

I think that was always the intent of the design of Axiom/XL
(aka. Aldor). ;)

> > > Note that Bill and I disagree about boot's future.
> >
> > True.
>
> Although it sounds like given the availability of both Aldor
> and B-natural the argument becomes moot?

Apparently Tim is not so convinced of the future of Aldor. :(

> Break out the B-natural papers!
>
> Has anybody heard anything new from the Aldor front?  Dr. Watt?
> Would it help to send the petition to NAG?

I have not heard anything from Dr. Watt, but I did have some
communications with Mike Dewar of NAG that indicated that NAG is
in favour of making Aldor open source given "any reasonable
proposal" and "subject to certain basic safeguards". I am sure
that Mike is aware of the Free Aldor page on the Axiom Wiki.

I consider this a very positive sign. :)