RE: [Axiom-developer] Map

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Map
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:50:42 -0500

On March 31, 2006 9:12 PM Antoine Hersen wrote:

> I am having some trouble with the function map applied to List.
>
> When using it in input files axiom complains but oblige but in
> a spad files I am always running to disaster.
>
> I end up using a [my_function i for i in my_list ]
>
> I guess I am not using $ and @ correctly, can anybody give me
> some advices ?

To get some useful advice please be specific and give some
examples. Even better: Create a page in the Axiom Wiki SandBox
that shows what you are trying to do. Then someone can help you.

How to use of $ and @ is explained in the Axiom book.

If an expression X is converted using one of the three operators
to type T the interpretations are:

:: means explicitly convert X to type T if possible.
$ means use the available operators for type T to compute X.
@ means choose operators to compute X so that the result is of
  type T.

e.g.

  f(x)$A  means to call the function f from package/domain A
  f(x)@B  means to call some function f that returns a result of
          type B

See:

0.4.5 Control of Result Types