Re: [Axiom-developer] SCM discussion (silver branch?)

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SCM discussion (silver branch?)
Date: 06 Apr 2006 15:39:40 +0200

Frederic Lehobey <address@hidden> writes:

| Hi,
|
| On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:28:09AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > [...]
| > |  > conducted.
|
| > |  > but I think we need one branch that is unstable but not too unstable.
| > |
| > | That's a good point. It sounds like a three stage system.
| > |
| > | A golden branch that will be the stable version. (axiom--main--1)
| > | A silver branch that will be the almost stable branch (that is where you
| > |      opted for maintaining)
| > | Several experimental branches, where one person (or a group of people)
| > |      agrees on how they do development until the experiment becomes
| > |      resonably stable to be ready for the silver branch.

| This is somewhat the Linus Torvalds / Andrew Morton approach for
| developing the Linux kernel.

Exactly right.  It was also the Richard Stallman model of managing old gcc.

| > There are tools to convert CVS repositories to SVN ones; I don't know
| > whether similar tools exist for converting tla archive to SVN.  The
|
| See Tailor: http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

thanks; I'll look into that.

| How hard is it to settle a public subversion server?

not very difficult.

| Do you have access to the appropriate hosting resources?

Not yet (though I do have write access); but if we have Tim's buy-in
then I'll expect that he would grant access to however will be in
charge of that branch.

-- Gaby