Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:35:20 +0200

Did you know that BibTeX does not impose a restriction on the fields names that are used inside a bibentry? Everything is decided by the corresponding bibstyle (.bst) file (which is more like a program).

Unfortunately, I cannot give a reference, but there should be bibstyles around that can be used to produce annotated bibliographies from .bib files (no pamphlet). The annotation would be in the field "annotate".
And you can use any latex inside this field.

I am not sure whether I would like writing annotations that way (I usually have a field "abstract", though), but it is somehow is closer to the latex philosophy that the style decides about the look of the data.

I think the most important point is that the data is available in a format than can be processed automatically.

And yes, it is a pity that people have not thought about it from the beginning: any paper/book/... should have a uniqe string (the bibkey) that identifies the item **worldwide**. At the moment every person uses his/her own identifiers and it is not easy to merge two overlapping bibliography databases.

Ralf