Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Emacs + input syntax

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Emacs + input syntax
Date: 12 May 2006 00:24:47 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| Can either of you give any objective argument about why
                             ^^^^^^^^^

We are talking about *syntax*, right?  As they say, it is like colors
and taste...

| you prefer to write in a serialized one-dimensional manner,

I don't prefer to write serialized one-dimensional manner.  I prefer
to *see* syntactic markers for groups.

| encoding nested structures with the bracket (or even a
| parenthesis) notation,

Are you going to propose we replace the square and round brackets with
the varieties of spaces?

| instead of using the natural two
| dimensional nature of the display media to express this
| structure more succinctly?

I do almost all of my works with terminals.  I use browsers only
when I'm forced to (like those online forms that don't work with
lynx, bugzillas, wikis, etc.)  Don't get me wrong; I do like and
appreciate pictures, n-dimensional illustrations; the indenting stuff
just does not work for me.  Yes, I do intend my codes.  And yes,
braces don't prevent you from indenting.

| If not, my label of "linguist prejudice" must surely apply.

It actually applies both ways, so I don't find it persuasive :-)

-- Gaby