Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Emacs + input syntax

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Emacs + input syntax
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 02:22:52 +0200

Hello Bill,

On 05/12/2006 12:09 AM, Page, Bill wrote:
Can either of you give any objective argument about why
you prefer to write in a serialized one-dimensional manner,
encoding nested structures with the bracket (or even a
parenthesis) notation, instead of using the natural two
dimensional nature of the display media to express this
structure more succinctly?

That everyone who is using brackets is using indentation is clear.

But from my work in ALLPROSE and discussion with Norman Ramsey, I also have a objective argument against #pile. Well, it's not too objective, since the Aldor compiler is not yet working properly in handling #line directives.

My intention in ALLPROSE was to start the make process within emacs. In case of an error emacs would be able to jump to the source position of the error. But, hey, it would jump to the .as file and not to the noweb source. So I added code to ALLPROSE that produces #line directives into the .as file so that emacs would correctly jump to the .as.nw file. (Unfortunately, the Aldor compiler does not handle #line directives correctly. BIG MINUS.)

Now, you all know that if I write...

<<Dom>>=
Dom: with
  <<exports: Dom>>
 == add
  <<implementation Dom>>
@

and somewhere else I provide the appropriate chunks, then notangle correctly indents the chunks.

HOWEVER, if I give the command line switch -L to notangle as in

%.as: %.as.nw
        $(NOTANGLE) -L'--#line %L "$<"%N' $< > $@

the code will NOT be indented.

Norman Ramsey refused to change that behaviour. And I think he is right.
Compilers sometimes spit out an error position like ----------------^
and that would point to the wrong position if the code were indented in the .as file differently from the .as.nw file.

So you have to decide, either you could have "jump to error" or "right indentation" (a must for #pile code). You cannot have both.

Ralf