[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-math] Are Fraction and Complex do

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-math] Are Fraction and Complex domains.
Date: 16 May 2006 10:13:17 +0200

Dear all,

I find it quite hard to follow your discussion, but maybe you can help me out:

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> Interestingly, if the documentation where better, I would even say that
> despite the lines
>
> local a == inc NUM;
> local b == inc dec inc NUM;
> stdout << "a              : "; stdout << f()$Dom(a); stdout << newline;
> stdout << "b              : "; stdout << f()$Dom(b); stdout << newline;
>
> give different output in Christian's program, the compiler still behaves
> functional. The problem is that the documentation should be more precise of
> what "a equals b" in the above context actually means.
>
> If we replace Integer by TextWriter in Christian's program and do something
> like
>
> stdout << f()$Dom(stdout);
> stdout << f()$Dom(stderr);
>
> of course most people would say that it is clear that the output might
> be different because
>
> "stdout is not equal to stderr".                                 (*)

Where does it say that Dom(x) and Dom(y) should be the same, even if x and y
are equal in some sense?

I would imagine that Dom(x) and Dom(y) are the same, (i.e., instantiated only
once) if x and y are the same, i.e., if (eq x y) as opposed to (equal x y), but
I'd be interested to find something about this in the documentation.

I'd leave it unspecified.

Martin