Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:34:54 +0200

Makefile.am does not need to be linear.  In fact, Makefile.am is
sufficiently high-level enough that if and when we get there, we will
see that Tim already did the job.  We just need to re-structure
Makefile.pamphlet first.  You won't have to write Makefile.am,
because you will write Makefile.pamphlet (should they be renamed to Makefile.am.pamphlet? I don't know).

I guess the literate idea even says that it does not matter how a file is called. It is most important that you write a paper from which you can generate all the code (even different files from one pamphlet source). That sounds nice, but in some sense I find that very difficult to maintain. For ALLPROSE I set the convention every file is a .nw file. (I don't yet had the need to store file types like .fig or .png or other strange formats where the noweb-style makes no sense.) The file keeps its original name with just .nw added. From that I generate .nw.tex files (that basically makes just one Makefile rule to generate latex). That naming convention has some advantages.

1) If you generate .dvi from the .nw.tex file. It is easily possible to click into the dvi file and jump to the .nw (not .nw.tex) source. VERY convenient.

2) At least for .as.nw file... If the compilation breaks and the Aldor compiler were able to understand the "#line ..." directives correctly, then one could use a smart editor (e.g emacs) to run the compilation inside a buffer and jump directly to the place in the source where the compiler found the error.

I suggest to adopt that convention for axiom (replace .nw by .pamphlet).

Ralf