Re: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:09:09 -0500

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
> | 2) The Axiom Wiki FrontPage has more graphics including an example
> |    Axiom output graphic.
>
> That, from my perspective, contributes to the "visual load".

I agree with this, but what's more, I don't think that linking "Try
Axiom" to the SandBox is that helpful.  If a visitor to the webpage
wants to give Axiom a quick try, sending them to a lengthy discussion
of the sandbox might be discouraging.  Perhaps a link to a
"TryingAxiom" page which has a couple of lines of how to try it out
might be helpful.  I'd be happy to give it a shot myself, if desired.

Also, I don't think it's necessary (or even desirable) to keep all the
old tried-out commands in the wiki.  I think a link to a page which
interactively runs Axiom would be more desirable: Yacas has something
like that (Yacas runs in a Java applet:
http://yacas.sourceforge.net/yacasconsole.html)  and Maxima does also
(http://math.msarnoff.org/).

By the way, I'm entering the discussion late.  I don't recall what the
front page looked like, but I recall thinking it looked a bit
unfriendly.  (Of course, my memory may be wrong.)  Now I think it
looks great!

Jay