Re: [Axiom-developer] I would like to work

From: Antoine Hersen
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] I would like to work
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:57:13 +0200

> I guess we should make some kind of effort to coordinate this
> and make sure everything is upto date and in sync before deciding
> how best to proceed with large scale edits. No?

Yes. Now we have Gold=stable, Silver=unstable, and several testing
branches. See http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomSources .
The tutorial should be edited on one of the testing branches (either on
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/ or on a specially
created branch on SVN).

To honor the spirit of competition I have decided to create a Bronze branch.
The Bronze branch will collect all code deleted or modified from the Gold and Silver branch plus original addition.
The intent is to have a more lively version of Axiom away from all the restriction of cold mathematical logic.

I must say, I would like to see axiom--test--1 kept in sync with a
branch on our sourceforge archive. I have no idea whether that is easy
to achive, but it would avoid questions like "Where is the most
up-to-date source that I should edit?".

That is one of the main advantage of the Bronze branch no need to stay in sync it will have is own rhythm.

The tla branch book--main--1 on http://axiom-developer.org/archive/axiom
should be merged to the testing branch on SVN and then *REMOVED*.
Look at book--main--1. It does not contain the other axiom sources and
when I first found out, I was confused about the
src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet appearing in axiom--main--1 and the same file
in book--main--1. Cannot we just have book-main--1 in a subdirectory of
the ordinary Axiom/Gold/Silver/Testing? Nobody cares if the other
volumes are not yet written, but it would be easier to know where to
edit. And merging would proably also be easier.

Any other opinions about this?

I think the solution is more SCM therefore the bronze branch will use  Linux last creation git ( http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/200504-git.html.en )
If it is good for the kernel it is good for axiom.

We currently have more branches of Axiom than we have developers. And
even worse, all these branches are quite badly documented what they are
worth for.

The problem is not has much as the number of branch is that they are all over the place.

Could we all agree to use only one SCM at least.
I will advocate for SVN has I am so far quite pleased with it. Also SVK make it possible for people who work of line to do so easly.

The biggest advande I see is that all work will be visible for everybody.
And we should be able to use well understood concept of branching and tagging to make release a clear and manageable process.

The online literate version of Axiom will just be one branch and even maybe one should be able to choose wich version/branche to be use.

Also SVN is surely on his way to remplace CVS and therefore offer us a large choice of project host if needed.

SVN work on all system *nix/Win/Mac

What do you think ?

Regards
Antoine Hersen