Re: [Axiom-developer] Old Lisp

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Old Lisp
Date: 13 Aug 2006 02:56:28 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| On August 12, 2006 10:18 AM Gabriel Dos Reis
| >
| >   Part of planning to clean up a bit the lsp/ directory, I'm removing
| > old GCL bits.  Old GCL here means anything prior to GCL-2.6.7.
| >

| I think that is a very good idea.

Done.

| I would encourage you to delete
| *everything* that is not directly related to the current Axiom
| build. I think we should not let the Axiom distribution collect
| any cruft and we should not use it to re-distribute other packages
| just because they might be a little hard to find.

For the moment, I left in GCL-2.6.7 and GCL-2.6.8pre.  Once GCL-2.6.8
is out and working we can ditch the old ones.

There are still some patches against GCL that Tim developed.
Ideally, I think we should not be in the business of patching GCL.
Camm has been collaborating with us very effectively; we should
communicate those issues with him and see how they can be addressed in
GCL upstream.

| I continue to be very impressed and pleased by your work on the
| new Silver build_improvements branch. It cheers me up immensely. :-)

Thank you very much for the kind words.

-- Gaby