RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Has anybody attempted to buildAldor+Axiomlatel

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Has anybody attempted to buildAldor+Axiomlately?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:29:47 -0400

Simon,

On August 13, 2006 5:32 PM you wrote:

> Bill - banning http:// on a wiki ? This makes me cringe..
> what good is it if legitimate users can't add links.

Me too. Although I set up a generic RemoteWikiURL page called
WebSite defined as just http:// so it is still possible to create
links to external sites - it's just harder. My intention was to
selectively create other more specific RemoteWikiURL pages when
I get a chance.

> I saw you have implemented a restriction on editing - it seemed
> to require a username configured in preferences, similar to my
> edits_need_username property.

Yes.

> Are you getting significant spam even with this turned on?

And yes.

> They are configuring a username cookie ?

Yes! :(( <weeping>

Not only that but someone who must really hate us (for no
reason as far as I can tell) actually setup a 350 member zombie
net that blasted our web site all day long last week. I admit
that banning http:// was a drastic move, but I was desparate.

BTW, I did read your recent posts about successfully merging
MathAction/LatexWiki back into Zwiki... :) That's what I like
about open source, if you wait long enough then you might just
get lucky and find someone willing to do the work you were
supposed to do! :) Thanks for doing this. I will setup a test
server on axiom-developer.org and install your merged version
to give it a test run. Then I will try to move the current
production contents into the test site. I will let you know
how it goes and then make it available for everyone to test.