Re: [Axiom-developer] patches

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] patches
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:42:52 -0400

> > Should we limit commits to only one file at a time?
>
> I would say so, since we might accept some changes and reject others. It
> is easier to pick the stuff if you have per-file-commits. I believe that
> it is a bit hard to submit changesets through the webinterface. But it
> should be required to add a reason for the change and that reason should
> become an svn-log.

The philosophical difference between CVS and SVN is the idea of changesets.
In CVS it is not possible, except thru elaborate tagging, to associate a
set of changes of multiple files to a single idea. Axiom uses changesets
in arch as a substitute for tagging. However it would make more sense to
use changesets in svn since it would make it possible to apply a single
change to many files (eg, to update all the makefiles for one global change).
this change might add a feature and be completely independent of every other
change even though it changes multiple files. Limiting commits to one file
at a time makes SVN equivalent to CVS.