Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Another question

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Another question
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:35:21 +0200

Anyway, would it be a good start to take dhmatrix. We could tex->latex it while
we try to get an html out of it.

The one thing I don't understand about all this is:

why won't we use ALLPROSE?

All the current pamphlet stuff is legacy code. It simply doesn't fit so easily into ALLPROSE, yet making it available in an HTML form should be simple enough before we go the ALLPROSE way.

And as Bill pointed out, ALLPROSE is an environment for writing libraries. As I understood, making pamphlets available as HTML has nothing to do with libraries. At least not at the moment.

The main principle obstacle however is pile syntax (sorry Bill). It does
not mix well with neither .pamphlet_s nor .nw_s:
(: No problem. :)

What is ".pamphlet_s nor .nw_s"?

I guess, that is simply a plural s.

To deal with pile syntax maybe we could make use of the SPAD to Aldor
translation option built into Axiom that you mentioned in another thread?
Even if it is not perfect, perhaps it is good enough to enable ALLPROSE to
more easily extract the necessary information?

No. First of all, I don't think it's necessary. You only have to teach ALLPROSE
how to find out where a line ends. Currently, in ALLPROSE, the regexp used is
described in Section tools/addaldortypedef.pl of the ALLPROSE documentation,
but Ralf certainly knows better than me.

All that parsing of the source .as.nw files in ALLPROSE, is probably unnecessary for the generation of HTML from pamphlets. In ALLPROSE, I have added some conventions to make this parsing easier. These conventions are not there for pamphlet files so the parsing would mean to write a SPAD parser that understands noweb chunks. Ufff.

From my point of view the objectives of using ALLPROSE are a little different
than the objectives satisfied by the Axiom pamphlet files.

Well, the pamphlets satisfy only a subset of our needs.

I simply have the suspicion that Martin talks about pamphlet files of the form .spad.pamphlet and anybody else means pamphlets with general content so also .lisp.pamphlet or Makefile.pamphlet. Am I wrong?

Ralf