RE: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] add support for --with-gcl

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] add support for --with-gcl
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 04:24:18 -0400

Gaby,

On Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:15 AM you wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> | I think it might be the case that 'compiler::link' expects that
> | gcl is built with option '--enable-ansi'. At least in that case
> | I did not get the error you quote.
>
> Aha; that is good to know.  Thanks!  Can we make the working
> assumption that Axiom does not use anything beyond ANSI LISP, or
> is that goal that is not attained at the moment?

No, it's more complicated than that. The Axiom source is not ANSI
LISP compliant (yet) but GCL even in --enable-ansi mode apparently
accepts some non-ansi constructs. Plus even with ansi enabled GCL
consists of at least two binaries (at least on Debian), one of
which still accepts the older lisp standard.

It's confusing, and I admit I might well be confused by all this...
So it's best to get the straight goods from Camm.