Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] spad: language and compiler

From: Jacques Carette
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] spad: language and compiler
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:17:37 -0400

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
I agree with most of what you said.  However, the slogan "well-typed
programs don't go wrong" does some value that I would heisate to
compromise...
But well-typed programs can still diverge! So "go wrong" just means that _when_ they return a value, it is guaranteed to be of the right type.

You can do the same thing for types - this is usually called a 'kinding' system. In fact some languages (like Tim Sheard's Omega -- http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~sheard/Omega/index.html) push that further by having a complete hierarchy (the names often used for the lower levels are term - type - kind - sort).

A "well-kinded" type doesn't "go wrong" either [assuming termination].

Jacques