[Axiom-developer] RE: ANSI and Axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: ANSI and Axiom
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:40:00 -0400

On Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:23 PM C Y wrote:
> As appealing as a from the ground up re-write is, I think a
> gradual re-factor is more realistic and a lot less up front work,
> for some significant gains.
> Should we draw the line in the sand and focus on that?

Absolutely! Here's a recipe:

  1) svn co
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/branches/build-improvements \
                axiom.build-improvements

  2) edit Makefile.pamphlet in three places

     GCLOPTS = --enable-ansi ...

  3) modify any in-package commands that don't comply or anything else
     obvious

  4) make clean

  5) ./configure --without-gcl

  6) make | tee build.log

  7) find out why the build stopped and repeat steps 3 to 6,
     shake and bake until done.

  8) svn diff > ansi.patches

  9) send the result to Gaby :-)