RE: [Axiom-developer] --patch-50

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] --patch-50
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:49:42 -0400

Gaby,

On September 1, 2006 10:23 AM you wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> | Anyway, I do not see why the Axiom build should be designed to
> | require latex. The only really essential tool here is noweb.
>
> We also latex the document; that is part of the basic requirements --
> we had a discussion on that issue last week or so with Tim.

I do not recall that discussion. I do not agree that latex should be
part of the basic requirements. LaTeX plays no essential role in
compiling Axiom from source. Of course LaTeX (or an equivalent like
Lyx or TeXmacs etc.) would be a requirement if one intended to actually
modify the source since Axiom is coded in a literate style, but that
is another issue.

> If you want to convince him, good luck.

I thought the point of Silver was that we didn't have to try to
convince Tim of anything anymore ... ;)  (... meant to be funny).

> Otherwise, I'll continue my work on the sane machines I have access
> to.

Goood plan.

> If there are problems somewhere, I'm very willing to fix them, but
> I decline to fix the build environments.

I think "fix" is too strong a word for the SF compile farm since
these machines serve many different purposes.