RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [build Axiom] updated Windows buildinstruction

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [build Axiom] updated Windows buildinstructions
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:57:34 -0400

On Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:54 PM Vanuxem Grégory wrote:

> There is not a lot of differences between the two repositories
> as Bill said. The file src/doc/ps/segbind.ps is only available
> in the tla repository

As far as I can tell this file is garbage that happened to get
caught in the archive. It is probably manually saved from the
graphic produced by the draw command in the file
'src/input/segbind.input'. It is not referenced anywhere in
the source.

> and in the file src/scripts/document the latex variable is
> defined differently: `which latex` in the tla repository and
> latex in the darcs one.

This is a change I made just last night while testing the windows
build... I guess I might as well explain it here. :) It turns out
that this is just a silly way to refer an executable file. It
breaks if the path to the executable contains directory names
with spaces - something that is quite frequent on Windows. The
new version of MikTeX puts the 'latex.exe' file in the
"c:/Program Files/MikTeX" directory and this causes a failure
in the 'document' script. By just writing 'latex' instead of
`which latex` we let the system lookup the executable in the
normal manner.

> It's on my TODO list to update my Windows version (the
> tla one) up to Gold patch-50

What version of tla do you use on Windows? Does it work
reliably for you? Have you tried to delete a tla archive from
Windows yet? With the version of tla what I was using this
is extremely awkward because very long file names prevent
the usual method of deleteing directories from working.

> but I first need to know why the bug #312 is specific to
> Axiom on Linux (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-math/2006-08/msg00035.html)

If you have patience, perhaps you could try a binary search
through the older linux versions to find where the failure
was introduced. The axiom--windows--1 branch was cloned from
the linux version at about patch-30, I think. You can retrieve
the older patch versions from the tla archive by appending the
patch suffix to the archive name, like this:

  $ tla get axiom--main--1-patch-50 axiom-50
  $ tla get axiom--main--1-patch-49 axiom-49