Re: [Axiom-developer] Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:11:27 +0200

Have you, for example ever used

@ %def foo

at the end of a code chunk? noweave can generated hyperlinks inside
the code pieces from that...
No, I haven't. I didn't really know about that. I'll add it to noweb
(even though it's a shame that you have to do that by hand).

Noweb has a powerful concept of filters. If you somewhere find a filter that adds such things for lisp or write one yourself, you don't need to add that by hand.

For example, in the Aldor part of ALLPROSE, there is no need to add %def statements. Just a littl convention of how to write code... the rest is done by a script at "make dvi" time.

   Other than that I don't see any justification for aliases.
I cannot say much about that. I am not a LISP programmer. :-(
Maybe I should have tried to explain this better, since I don't think
that this is specific to Lisp. In general, when does it make sense to
have several different names for a single function? Not very often,
I'd say.

I sometimes use macros in Aldor, but I try to keep that restricted to one file. The outside world should only see one thing.

I looked at your ALLPROSE when Martin mentioned it to me. It's quite
impressive as far as I can see, but I didn't spend enough time with it
to say anything about it.

Well ALLPROSE is basically just for Aldor code, but as you see, it is a literate program by itself and that means it documents its Makefiles, latex-style files and PERL files. So, if you forget about the Aldor part, it could probably also support the documentation of LISP code.

I'll wait until I find time to understand Gaby's new build process to move some ideas from ALLPROSE to the Axiom code.

Ralf