Re: [Axiom-developer] boottocl

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] boottocl
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:18:11 -0400

> there exist two implementations of boottran::boottocl:
>   1. one in interp/util.lisp,
>   2. and on in boot/ptyout.boot.
>
> Which one is the real boottocl compiled into the Boot translator?

at one time the two parsers handled differently languages,
the 'old' boot language and the 'new' boot language. the
boot parser was written in the old boot language and the
rest of the system was coded in the new boot language.
the goal was to unify the two language.

i don't remember whether we fully resolved that issue.
the only way to guarantee they are the same is to verify
that they ultimately call the same functions. or you can
translate each of the boot files with both functions and
see if the resulting lisp code is equal.

one of the parsers used to live in the boottran package
and the other lived in the boot package. there is a subtle
issue of which macros are loaded into each image which
affects the ultimate expansion of the code.

so the ultimate answer is i don't know. its been too long.