[Axiom-developer] Re: Patch for SPADEDIT

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Patch for SPADEDIT
Date: 27 Oct 2006 13:40:38 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> > We could also display the dvi, but then src/scripts/document would have to
> > call latex with "-src-specials" or, if that is not available, we would have
> > to include the file srcltx in every pamphlet.
>
> Would it be an option to say \usepackage{srcltx} in axiom.sty?  srcltx.sty is
> public domain software.

Very likely. On the other hand, I think that -source-specials *should* be
available on reasonable LaTeX installations. The docu of srcltx says in
footnote 1:

   1 E.g. a ‘-src’ option is available in MikTeX from version 1.20 upwards,
     or in teTeX from version beta-20011103 or teTeX-2.0 upwards. See the
     manual of your TEX implementation for details on this.

> > There is yet another issue: It seems that latex -source-specials puts the
> > absolute path of the original file into the dvi. I guess that at least kdvi
> > won't mind for forward search (i.e., when clicking on INT.spad in HyperDoc
> > the correct line will appear),

> I don't quite understand. If you want to jump from INT.spad to the
> corresponding line in the .dvi file then the line information should be in
> INT.spad. Note that INT.spad.pamphlet is the source.

Well, I just checked. A dvi generated with -src-specials does *not* contain the
absolute paths. It is only kdvi which gives a misleading error message. I was
confused. To jump to line 795 of Makefile.tex in Makefile.dvi you say

kdvi file:Makefile.dvi#src:795Makefile.tex

Note that

kdvi file:Makefile.dvi#src:795Makefile

or

kdvi file:Makefile.dvi#src:795

will not work, since there might be source-specials for several files (for
example, Makefile.tex, Makefile.toc, etc.) in the dvi...

> > but inverse search, (i.e., clicking in the dvi file to display the source)
> > won't work.
>
> Right. I don't know -source-specials but rather just -src (maybe it's the
> same),

yes, it should be the same.

> but it won't work, because it generates sources-specials to .tex files and
> not to .pamplet files.
>
> > Maybe Ralf has a solution for that problem,
>
> Yep. Just a small patch to srcltx.sty and you can have xdvi jumping to the
> .pamplet instead of .tex file. All explained in ALLPROSE.

Great! Then it probably makes more sense to put srcltx into axiom.sty, as you
suggested. And in any case, the pamphlets should be installed...

> But nobody seems to be interested anyway. So why invest time?

Ralf, be assured that I like ALLPROSE. But if I read all documentation to
ALLPROSE, svn, bash, who knows what, there'd be no time for research at all. I
think, as author you should be prepared to answer questions even if you gave
the answer in your article, even if you answered them already a million times.

Martin

PS: please note the update to my shell script at Mathaction - issue #144