RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:57:02 -0400

On Friday, October 27, 2006 9:08 AM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> > The reason I decided to leave /trunk was that in fact there
> > are quite a large number of changes from /trunk to your new
> > /silver and resolving these differences will take some time.
> > If I just applied your version to /trunk a number of changes
> > there would end up being reverted, or vice-versa. It is better
> > I think, to compare the changes more closely and then for
> > someone to send you patches against the new /silver for you
> > to evaluate and possibly apply to axiom--silver--1. That way
> > the automatic update will gradually make the twi roots more
> > nearly identical. Eventually we can remove one or the other
> > when they no longer serve any purpose.
> >

> I have fetsche /silver from SourceForge.  I do not understand
> why you write about big differences. The biggest difference is
> that /silver contains .arch-ids subdirectories.

These should be removed. I tried to set property 'svn:ignore' to
'.arch-ids' prior to updating the repository but I must have done
something wrong or misunderstood how this interacts with the
mirroring tools.

> AFAICS essential differences are tiny (869 lines).

That's about 800 lines more than I could handle last night ...
:-) I am very glad you are looking at this.

> /silver has tla-1.1.tar.gz (IIRC removed from /trunk) and

I we need a list to Tim of the proposed files to delete from
Axiom Silver.

> /trunk has PATCH49-50.

I think that was only a temporary note left by Tim duing is
last failed svn update attempts. I can probably be deleted
after we verify that the issues have been addressed.

> Also, /trunk has added ChangeLog to some subdirectories.

Maybe we need to discuss this ChangeLog policy. At one
point Gaby started adding per directory ChangeLogs, but
Tim has only every used one central log.

> BTW: I run:
>
> diff -ru --exclude=.svn ../axiom1/silver/axiom/ silver2 >
> s_s2.diff 2>&1

Rather than just excluding the administrative files, I think
we should find methods to eliminate everything that is not
absolutely required by the actuall source code system currently
controling the source.

> where ../axiom1/silver/axiom/ contains current SourceForge
> trunk and silver2 freshly checked out /silver. That gave me
> 1081 lines of differences. 201 lines are messages about
> .arch-ids subdirectories.

Thanks.

If you are able to identify and annonate the chunks of this
changeset that represent deletions, additions and those that
need further discussion, I think that would be great. Except
for the issue of the annoying '.arch-ids' files, I still think
the best approach to synchronize /silver and /trunk would be
for Tim to apply the necessary patchs to his tla archive
'axiom--silver--1'. I think we need to get the workflow running
properly and automatically from axiom--silver--1 into /silver
and manually from /silver back to Tim as I suggested in a
previous email.