Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Update to recent GCL-2.6.8pre

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Update to recent GCL-2.6.8pre CVS
Date: 28 Oct 2006 04:03:09 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

| >   This patchlet updates GCL to the most recent version of GCL-2.6.8pre
| > (as of yesterday night, central time).  It also has us stop applying
| > toploop.patch: the patch failed to apply cleanly because the portion of
| > code it touches had been slightly reworked.  Consequently, I remove
| > the patch altogether.
|

| The comment reads:
|
| - This patch turns off the banner display every time GCL starts.
| - We could use the -batch flag but that would be a pervasive change.
| - It isn't critical to the system builds but we will later be
| - capturing stdin and stdout and we do not want extra information
| - printed.
|
| so that we control the banner information. This has been important
| in the past and will be in the future as we port to various common
| lisp systems.
|
| Why remove the patch instead of fixing it?

Fixing the patch when the very idea of that particular patch is
already broken is pointless.

For reproducibility reasons, we should NOT be in the business of
patching GCL.  If we have an issue with GCL, we should fix it
*upstream*, not in Axiom.  Ideally, whether we build GCL or we use
system-wide installed GCL should be imaterial.

-- Gaby