Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Update to recentGCL-2.6.8pre

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Update to recentGCL-2.6.8pre CVS
Date: 30 Oct 2006 04:30:56 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > I would welcome an access to that problematic platform to investigate
| > the issue.
|
| Unfortunately my home machines have dynamic IPs so I can't give access.
| Download an FC5 iso, install it, and try to do a build.

I'll try that.  I've resurected an old laptop, but its harddrive is
still somehow flaky.

| There was a library issue if I recall correctly.
| Possilbly related to the GCC version.
| Renaud Rioboo pointed it out to me at ISSAC.
| If you look at Makefile.pamphlet the documentation there says:
|
| On Fedora Core 5 we cannot use the line
| \begin{verbatim}
|   ${XLIB}/libXpm.a
| \end{verbatim}
| to link to the Xpm libraries. Instead We need to use
| \begin{verbatim}
|   -l Xpm
| \end{verbatim}
| These are added onto the end of the LDF variable.

I don't think that is just a Fedora Core 5 issue.  On all platforms, I
posit that it is a timebomb (read WRONG) to say
    ${XLIB}/libXpm.a

Rather, one should be saying

   -l Xpm

and add -L/path/to/X11.

Build-improvements corrected those, so I don't know whether you'll see
that problem there.

| I'm hoping FC6 doesn't have the problem.

It is a bug in Axiom makefile.

-- Gaby