Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:59:35 +0100 (CET)

Bill Page wrote:
> I think the following two files are not used anywhere:
>
> aTx=b.bitmap
> ATX=B.bitmap
>
> (See list of unused bitmap files below.)

'aTx=b' is referenced from 'nag-f04.boot.pamphlet' (among others).
For ATX=B.bitmap you are probably right.

> > Also in 'src/doc/ps' we have 'SEGBIND.ps' and 'segbind.ps'.
> > 'segbind.ps' is a screen dump of a graphic window containing a
> > parabola.  I can not really see 'SEGBIND.ps' because it triggers
> > Postscript stack error in ghostscript (like many other files in
> > 'src/doc/ps' :(.
> >

> I think all .ps files that are not referenced in any *.pamphlet file
> (such as SEGBIND.ps and segbind.ps) should be deleted from the /ps
> directory.

ATM we use only few .ps files. However there are many commented out
references in the axiom book, that is files we should use but
for some reason (problems with flat environment???) we do not use
them now. There is a lot of junk: files that do not show up in
ghostscript at all, files which probably have bogus boundig box,
duplicates. We can easily recreate graphs, screenshots need
more work to recreate and a few files (probably 2 or 3) are
"original artwork". In ideal world sombody would sort the
.ps files into "valuable" (needing some/lot of effort to recreate),
"cache" (the ones which we put in the distribution, but can
easily recreate) and junk. But in short term mass deletion
may be the best solution.

> Here is a quick hack to show which files in src/doc/ps are not
> used in any src/doc/*.pamphlet file:
>
> $ cd /home/page/axiom.build-improvements/src/doc
> $ ls ps > ps_old
> $ grep 'ps/.*\.ps.*}' *.pamphlet | \
>   awk '{FS="ps/"; print substr($2,0,index($2,".ps")+2);}' | \
>   sort | uniq > ps_new
> $ diff --unified=0 ps_old ps_new | \
>   awk '/^-[^-]/ { print substr($1,2)}'

You missed '.eps' endinig:

> P28a.eps

P28a.eps is very special, because it actually shows in the book :)

> Here is a similar hack for bitmaps:

You missed references from the browser:

> s21bdf1.bitmap

This one is "used":

nag-s.boot.pamphlet:  htInitPage("S21BDF - Symmetrised Elliptic Integral of 3rd
Kind \space{1} \vspace{-28} \inputbitmap{\htbmdir{}/s21bdf1.bitmap}", nil)

I think that finding unused bitmaps need some more work: it seems that
some references to bitmaps appear without file suffix, also because of
quoting rules some names appear mangled.  OTOH I think it is safe bet
that browser do not access '.ps' files from 'src/doc/ps'. First,
browser do not have support for showing '.ps' files, and while
ANNA-ES.ht contains (commented out) call to ghostscript it seem to be
the only case. Second, it seems that browser were supposed to access
only files from 'share' subtree and that files from 'src/doc/ps'
were not installed here.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden