RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 00:13:36 -0500

On Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:39 PM I wrote:

> I propose that we remove axiom.bib.pamphlet.
>
> There is no axiom.bib.tex as far as I can tell - only axiom.bib.
>
> But the idea of including citations to pamphlet files seems ill-
> conceived to me. There is no documentation in the axiom.bib.pamphlet
> file itself but in src/doc/Makefile.pamphlet we can read:
>
> --------
>
> \section{The bibtex stanza}
> Axiom pamphlet files have citations. We collect all of the
> pamphlet file citations into this one file so we have a standard
> place and format for bibliographic references.
>
> Citations of pamphlet files which are local are generally by the
> name. For example, [[asq.c.pamphlet]] would be cited using
> [[\cite{asq.c}]].
>
> --------

I see also \cite mentioned here in the FAQ file:

--------

FAQ 11: How do I add a new pamphlet file

You must also modify src/doc/axiom.bib.pamphlet to include
the file. Axiom uses bibtex to cross-reference the various
pamphlet files. The normal method of citing a file involves
just using the name, for example \cite{asq.c} will build
a citation to the ./src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet file.

You must include the following two lines in your pamphlet file:

\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{axiom}

---------

> But as far as I can tell this method is not actually used in any
> other pamphlet file. Looking at the contents of axiom.bib I see
> many non-unique entries. Further, I don't see how this would work
> in the case where there are multiple root code chunks in a single
> pamphlet file (e.g. algebra/*.spad.pamphlet).

Am I wrong about this?