Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:23:50 +0100

On 11/08/2006 11:09 AM, Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga wrote:
Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

The LP idea, and the pamphlet files by implication, works beautifully
when you get everything right from the start and you don't have to
look under the hood (e.g. debugging, etc.).  By definition, if you're
not using it for an evolving system -- which by definition is buggy.
By the minutes you have to deal also with the generated and
intermediate files, it becomes very very messy.

Fire!

I've used the "-L" notangle option to great effect when writing C code
with noweb. Even gdb can find the proper source lines.

I very much support that. But what you write after the -L depends on the programming language that notangle spits out. Seeing #line statements in a generated .bib file, is maybe not such a good idea.

As I said earlier, I would rather like to see generic rules than having always to look at the Makefile what actually happens. Distinguishing according to filetypes is probably ok, there are not too many types around. But I would like to see no exceptions to general rules on a per-file basis.

Ralf