Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: 08 Nov 2006 14:12:09 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| That is an argument. But perhaps for all those of us who are not so
| familiar with non-Linux, it would be more helpful to say which systems
| these are. The only system I know would be DOS. But then forget about
| the .pamphlet extension. You only have 3 characters. ;-)

Yes.  My question is how serious Axiom takes portability?
Notice that the notion of filename limitations enshrines in the user
interface that I really dislike.

[...]

| There will never be generated anything else than one dvi file. And I
| don't understand, why people care so much about the names of
| intermediate files.

if you don't understand why you care, then I'm confused :-)

[...]

| (only in my opinion, of course). One doesn't have to rename
| axiom.sty.pamphlet to axiom-sty.pamphlet.

Yes.  This problem has many roots.  Part of it is that
build-improvements extracts the TeX file in the same directory as it
latexs it.  The problem can be papered over in many different way:
  (1) add .tex unconditionally.
  (2) replace .pamphlet with .tex and pay attention
  (3) extract to a different directory
  (4) find a btter solution.

-- Gaby