Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL loader option

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL loader option
Date: 08 Nov 2006 15:53:44 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| Richard Harke wrote:
| > I'm attempting to build the build-improvements branch on linux-ia64
| > build stops with message
| > Exactly one loader option must be chosen: dlopen=yes statsysbfd=no
| >        dynsysbfd=no locbfd=yes custreloc=no
| >
| > I have only a vague idea of what these mean and no idea how to make the
| > choice into the build process.
| >
| > This seems to be coming from configure for gcl-2.6.8pre
| >

| It seems that gcl on ia64 can only use dlopen.  Axiom tries to force
| gcl to use bdf library (which is better solution when it works).  So you
| should probably build gcl separately with default settings.

That is a bug.  Ideally, Axiom (build-improvements, that is) should
NOT decide itself on the configure options.  However, GCL should be
able to detect that BFD is missing (or present) and decide accordingly.
Now, I rememebr Humberto asked recently what --enable-custreloc was
about.  It was put there a very long time ago.  But since then GCL's
configure's gotten smarter and needs not be told about that.  Those
are bugs that should be corrected.

-- Gaby