Re: [Axiom-developer] ht.awk

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ht.awk
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:51:23 +0100 (CET)

Bill Page wrote:
> On November 16, 2006 9:31 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> > I put the following in 'src/hyper/Makefile.pamphlet':
> >
> > In the long term, the [[.pht]] and viewports should be
> > generated at either
> > build time or installation time using commands like:
> > \begin{verbatim}
> >              rm -f ht.db
> >              ${HTADD} *.ht
> >              for A in `ls *.ht`; do ${SMAN} -paste $$a ; done
> >              rm -f ht.db
> >              ${HTADD} *.ht *.pht
> > \end{verbatim}
> >

> Ah, so it is 'htadd' that is supposed to create .pht files from the
> .ht files. I see. Is there any documentation of this process?

It is the 'hypertex' program ('htadd' can not do this).  See
HTXAdvPage5.ht in hypertex documentation (I did not found corresponding
part in Axiom book, so maybe it is missing from printed version).

> > Hypertex has special code to extract parts of .ht file and prepare
> > .input file for Axiom.  Once .input is ready Hypertex tells
> > AXIOMsys to execute it, writing output to a file.  Then Hypertex
> > should collect the output into .pht page.
> >
> > This 'almost' works: some pages are nicely generated, but on other
> > it stops and one has manually quit Axiom.  It seems that Hypertex
> > has problem detecting that AXIOMsys finished writing output file.
> >

> Wow! How did you learn/know that this functionality even existed?
> :-) By reading the code? I am very pleased and amazed.

Yes, reading the code.  Actually, I have found corrct place serching
for embedded paths (I wanted to fix a different problem).  It is possible
that I have read HTXAdvPage5.ht earlier, but since a lot of browser
functionality did not work I would probably ignore it (and forget later).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden