Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: 22 Nov 2006 22:48:15 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| >    * Support parallel build.
| >      Notice that GCL does not support parallel build.  So we can punt
| >      on build of GCL.  We should work with Camm to fix GCL build
| >      upstream.
| >

| > If you remove the dependency, you break parallel builds.
| > (Currently, you can do parallel builds until you hit algebra --
| > assumign you don't have to build GCL).
| >

| Have you tried to do parallel builds?

Yes -- that is how I know which directory fails, which does not.

|  I tried, but it failed in boot directory.

Then that is a recent bug, because it was working for me no later than
last week (and it has been working for long time now).

Could you send the build log?  That way we may have a clue about the culprit.

| FYI I changed lsp Makefile to pass '-j 1' to GCL because ATM
| on my dual core machines build fails using system GCL (it works using
| bundled GCL, also system GCL on single core machines works fine).

We can have the lsp Makefile say .NOTPARALLEL for the GCL targets so
that GCL is not attempted in parallel.

| My impression is that you will loose most opportunities for
| parallelism: recursive logic is seqential and dependence via stamps
| means that one subdirectory must finish before another starts.

Which recursive logic?
On purpose I did not write a for loop, rather, I listed the targets.
Then it is necessary that the dependencies are correct.

| If you make dependency on stamp effective how do you want to
| avoid starting two makes (in paralel) in src subdirectory -- make
| logic will not prevent this. So, I think that to trurly support paralel
| builds you need a single Makefile.

I don't know what you mean by "trully parallel build", but we have been
doing parallel build for nearly a decade now with GCC and it does have
multiple makefiles.

-- Gaby