RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel]Segmentationviolation:cstackok:sign

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel]Segmentationviolation:cstackok:signalling error with GCL-2.7.0(cvs head)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:46:56 -0500

On December 1, 2006 2:27 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> > Ok, but now I *am* even more confused. As far as I can see
> >
> >   (and (a > -1.0) (a < 1.0))
> >
> > is syntactically incorrect in any Lisp implementation. (Which
> > is what I thought you meant when you said it was not lisp code.)
> > Why do you now say that you were "wrong"? If this code is not
> > excluded somehow, why doesn't this cause an error when compiling
> > Axiom?
>

> The > and < are just symbols so this is equivalent to calling
> two functions, a and b with the value of the symbol > and an
> integer.

I am sorry for taking this out of proper context. The code
in question is:

(defun asec (a)
  (if (and (a > -1.0) (a < 1.0))
    0.0
    (acos (/ 1.0 a))))

But yes, you are right this does compile. So now I feel suckered
twice: first because I didn't notice that it was wrong and second
because I did not notice that it was right. :-)

> do the following:
>
> (setq < 3)
> (setq > 4)
> (defun a (x y) (list x y))
> (defun foo () (if (and (a > -1.0) (a < 1.0)) 0 1))
> (foo)

Ya, well ... I guess that's what I hate about Lisp. ;) It always
makes me feel so stupid...