Re: [Axiom-developer] openpty patch again

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] openpty patch again
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 03:56:07 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> | Normally when viewman dies sman re-spawns  a new copy...
>
> This is a design flaw in sman and friends -- I came across it yesterday
> and thought "wait, this is an unbounded replication; nobody wants
> that!".

This behaviour is semi-reasonble:  Axiom creators treated Axiom and
supporting programs as an Internet server where clients come, request
some computation and go away while the core parts (AXIOMsys, sman,
session, viewman, nagman) run for long time.

Anyway, if you look for design flaws, you will probably find many.
One example that I found few days ago: 'AXIOMsys' at various moments
sends 'EndOfOutput' command to 'session' and then go on to process
information sent by 'session'.  But session also sends commands
to 'AXIOMsys' and for some commands expects that 'AXIOMsys' will
return some data as an answer.  There were no way for 'session'
to distinguish returned data from 'EndOfOutput' command.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden