RE: [Axiom-developer] Using Aldor compiler from within Axiom on amd64

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Using Aldor compiler from within Axiom on amd64
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:00:42 -0500

On Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:04 AM Christian Aistleitner wrote:

> I installed the binary Axiom+Aldor package from
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Mirrors?go=/public/axiom-aldor
-20060621.tgz&it=Axiom+with+Aldor+binary
> according to the instructions on
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomBinaries
> on my gentoo amd64 system.
>
> Compiling the following short snippet (as test.as)
>
> #include "axiom"
>
> f():OutputForm == {
>    import from Integer;
>    outputForm 1;
> }
>
> within Axiom, gives no error. But when calling the function f after
> compilation, I get
>
> >> System error:
>     Unknown bfd format

My guess is that the version of gcl from which Axiom+Aldor was
produced does not specify the appropriate gcc option (-m32 ?) to
ensure that the object file that is created from the Aldor lisp
output can be linked with the Axiom+Aldor binary.

> How can I get Axiom to run code that got compiled from
> within Axiom using the Aldor compiler?

I run Axiom with Aldor on my AMD64 system but I have compiled
both Axiom and Aldor from source on this system. If you absolutely
need a binary install, then I could create a tarball from this
system. Otherwise, I would recommend compiling Axiom from current
sources (I like the SourceForge svn build-improvements branch plus
the bug fixes from wh-sandbox branch.). You can then download the
amd64-bit version of Aldor from the link at the bottom of page:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Aldor

Then you must follow the procedure at

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiom

to link Axiom with Aldor.

> Let me now give you more details about the setup:
>
> I know the downloaded file is a 32bit binary, but I have the
> appropriate 32bit libraries installed on my system:

Probably when the lisp generated by Aldor inside Axiom+Aldor is
compiled to object code, the object code defaults to a 64-bit
format that is incompatible with Axiom compiled for a 32-bit
system. It might be possible to get around this by specifying
different options for the compile. But I think you would be
happier running both Axiom and Aldor in full 64-bit mode.