[Axiom-developer] FW: summer of code

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] FW: summer of code
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:03:37 -0400

Axiom Developers;

As motivation for further "sole searching" concerning the
minimal interest in Axiom expressed by Summer of Code
applicants to LispNYC (which very generously included Axiom
in it's list of possible projects), I am forwarding the
following email concerning SymPy. As you will read, a total
of 5 applications were accepted for SymPy related projects!

But first I would like to sincerely congratulate Ondrej Certik
for obtaining such a large response to the SymPy project. I
think that this is an encouraging sign that there is indeed
still a lot of interest in computer algebra/symbolic compuation
on the part of computer sciene students. I wish him and the
participants in the SOC 2007 projects the the greatest success.
I plan to continue to monitor the SymPy project and update the
version of SymPy that is accessible on the Axiom Wiki:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxSymPy

I don't see this as in conflict with any objectives of the
Axiom project and in fact I hope that we can continue to
collaborate to the greatest extent possible. Axiom developers
can contribute just by trying examples online or by downloading
and testing SymPy locally on their own computers and reporting
problems as usual to the SymPy developers. I believe that
Ondrej is subscribed to this Axiom email list, but obviously
he may be a little too busy with details of the Sympy projects
to contribute much to our discussion here. :-)