[Axiom-developer] Re: NE with bootsys (build-improvements)

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: NE with bootsys (build-improvements)
Date: 28 Apr 2007 09:20:58 -0500

Gregory Vanuxem <address@hidden> writes:

| Hello,
|
| The file interop.boot is incorrectly translated by bootsys because of
| the use of 'NE'. 'NE' is translated to '(not (equal' by depsys but
| bootsys translate it to '(/='.
|
| You can trigger this bug if you issue in the interpreter:
|
| x^(1/7)
|
| Don't know if there are similar bugs in other parts of the interpreter.

Hi Grégory,

  Bootsys has a finer grained notion of types than depsys.  I
forgot about the ^= vs. /= issue -- there used to be similar issue for
when to use "eq" and "equal".

  In short: in Bootsys "^=" is for comparing numbers, whereas "/=" is
general comparison on objects.   In practice, Bootsys demands that we
have a better understanding of types in Boot programs -- depsys
has no such requirements.  All this will be much easier to work with
if and when we use typing in Boot codes.

  Patch pending.

[...]

| There is another thing with build-improvements, with this sequence of
| commands:

| mkdir /home/greg/axiom-build-improvements
| lndir /home/greg/TDevel/axiom.build-improvements
/home/greg/axiom-build-improvements/
| cd /home/greg/axiom-build-improvements/
| ./configure --enable-checking --prefix=/home/greg/axiom.bi.debug
| make && make install

| the file /home/greg/axiom.bi.debug/bin is the axiom script (and not a
| directory).

I was unable to reproduce this, but I'll start from a fresh check out
again.

Thanks!

-- Gaby