Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: building wh-sandbox on Windows

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: building wh-sandbox on Windows
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:53:11 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:
> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > we are trying to solve the following exercise:
> >
> > Given make variables $< and $@ write a make rule which compiles
> > Lisp file from $< and puts the results in address@hidden
> >
> > You can easily check that
> >
> > echo '(compile-file "$<" :output-file "$@") (quit)' | ${DEPSYS}
> >
> > does not work with relative paths (it works fine with absolute
> > paths).
>
> Don't you think you should forward that to comp.lang.lisp?

I do not think it make any sense:

1) 'compile-file' works as specified -- the "only" problem is some
   aspect of specified behaviour are implementation dependent and
   impementation as doing something else compared to what we need
   (and different implementation and doing different something else).

2) We could complain about this implementation dependent behaviour
   but the problem is well-known and such message would be treated
   as an attempt to start a flame war.

3) We could ask how to archive what we want.  Again, there is a
   library (cl-fad), which solves bunch of similar exercises.
   cl-fad does not work on gcl, but it is IMHO unreasonable to
   ask a newsgroup to do a port for us.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden