Re: [Axiom-developer] gclweb.lisp

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] gclweb.lisp
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:12:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Actually removing the dependency on LaTeX is not theoretically
> > impossible and is a direction I find interesting.
>
> OK, so why does nobody think of TeXmacs? That is a Wysiwyg-editor
> written in Scheme (as far as I know).

My understanding is that it can use Scheme for extensions but the core
editor is written in C++.  There was work on a native Windows port but
I think this has stopped now.

> One can already embed interactive code. Despite all dislikings ...
> isn't TeXmacs quite appropriate not only as an interface to Axiom
> but also as the way do write literate programs for Axiom? I don't
> know why I am suggesting this, I am not even using TeXmacs and
> always run into problems with it, but in some way I
> feel that it would be an appropriate tool for the pamphlets.

I know what you mean - its feature set maps well to the problems we
need to solve.  I guess I'm part of the "let's do everything we can in
Lisp to reduce external requirments" crowd, but learning (really
learning) how to use and extend TeXmacs should definitely be on my todo
list.  The design considerations will be similar, and TeXmacs has
realtime interaction whereas TeX is a batch processor.

> There is just one problem. As far as I can tell, there is no support
> for literate programs in TeXmacs. But isn't Lisp similar to Scheme
> and aren't you just writing a clweb?

The languages are similar, but I don't know if TeXmacs could make use
of it in that fashion - I don't know the details of the scheme
integration.

> Unfortunately, I cannot look into it since I LISP is not the language
> that I speak very fluently.

Regrettably I don't have the time it would take to dig into that right
now, but I agree it is a useful direction to pursue.

Cheers,
CY