[Axiom-developer] gclweb.lisp

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] gclweb.lisp
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:50:09 -0500

Ralf,

When I said that the chunkname is unparsed I meant that
it was unparsed by gclweb.lisp which just uses the raw character
string as a key into the hash table. The chunkname follows the
rules of latex so special characters would have to be escaped.

If you look at the TEX book by Knuth, a literate document,
he uses the chunkname as a description of the meaning of the chunk.
Thus we find things like:

<Initialize the output routines>
<Print the banner line, including the data and time>
<Report that the font won't be loaded>

so a procedure description could be read in sentences:

Procedure foo {
<Initialize the output routines>
<Print the banner line, including the data and time>
<Report that the font won't be loaded>
}

This would be most beneficial in documenting the algebra algorithms.

I like Knuth's use of the chunknames as an additional means
of documentation although I've been rather lax in following
his example. Of course, this is a matter of style and taste
which means that it is an invitation to a flame war.

Suffice it to say that the only gclweb program use is as a hash key
which places no restriction on the contents.