Re: [Axiom-developer] Test of a WEB style

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Test of a WEB style
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 13:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
> | I am convinced that viewing Axiom as a "Lisp program" has
> | been very greatly to it's disadvantage given the priorities
> | of the current generation of programmers.
>
> I strongly second that.
>
> I would encourage Axiomatizers to view Lisp as just one of the many
> possible assembly languages which Axiom can be translated to.
> Nothing more.  Axiom will be better served that way.

I don't think it's too big of a deal - the main Axiom group is free to
stay with noweb.  The really important part of Axiom is the Algebra
pamphlet files - the rest exists to provide an environment in which to
work with them.  How that environment is provided is less important -
the only problem with that part of the system comes when it breaks.  So
we want the most robust supporting environment we can make.

In the long run, non-Algebra issues should be the minority of the work
on Axiom.  Right now they loom large because a certain minimum
functionality is needed to work at all, but once that functionality is
established we should be able to build on it and look ahead.  Really,
we should have to worry as little as possible about what's below the
Algebra.  (That's another reason I like Lisp, but such discussions have
been had in the past and I doubt anything new will come of them now.)

>From a practical standpoint, I would like to use asdf in a lisp
environment to load parts of Axiom.  I would like to be able to load
and evaluate pamphlets without having to bother about tangling them by
hand, from Lisp.  That's really all I was after.  I will still find it
handy, even if it isn't incorporated into Axiom.

I like Ralf's output - my suggestion would be to integrate that
technique for pamphlet building into the Axiom build machinery. Ralf,
is there a script in ALLPROSE somewhere that will remove everything
upto and including the \begin{document} and also the \end{document}
from pamphlets?  If we have that, we should be able to use your system
with the existing pamphlets.  Alternately, there may be a package for
LaTeX that provides an include command which will do that automatically
- I'll look around tonight.

Cheers,
CY

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.