[Axiom-developer] cl-web v0.7

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] cl-web v0.7
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 18:39:02 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure this really deserves a release, but I may not be able to
work on this for a week so I'll go ahead and put it out there.

Tim sent me some corrections and stylistic suggestions - I've tried to
incorporated some of that here.  Major difference is quoting in macros
is now saner.

I added some code for indexing chunks (just chunks, not defs in chunks)
and that seems to work OK.  It's pretty trivial at this stage.  At some
point we might want to look at the multiple-index LaTeX packages so we
can do chunks, regular (if we have pamphlets big enough to need it),
and code definitions if we get that working.

At this point, there are a couple of things to do.  The obvious one is
to get line number output working in tangle and that's just a matter of
going back and turning all the right stuff on in various states.  Less
obvious is the possibility of listing at the bottom of a chunk which
chunk(s) include it - is that of interest to us?  It is a bit of work
but not terribly difficult.

I know the one we really want is code based documentation - i.e.
awareness of what's inside the code chunks.  I noticed that sbcl got
xref support Dec. 2006, and there is also an experimental package
called sb-introspection developed for SLIME.  I'm not completely sure
what these are capable of, but they might be usable for generating the
kind of information we are looking for.  That's a longer term effort at
best - sb-introspection is not really documented or aimed at general
use yet, so there is some exploring to do.  SLIME is worth a look to
see how it supports the sb-introspection features in other lisps.
CMUCL might be workable as well.

Cheers,
CY