Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:39:15 +0200

On 05/21/2007 03:40 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > I don't understand C very well,
| | Every time someone on this list says "I don't understand X"
| but they already program in Aldor/Spad/Lisp or whatever, it
| makes me wonder about their motivations as opposed to their
| skill ... :-)

I did not say that I cannot read C at all, but it is one of the languages that I had never much need to learn by heart.

And my motivations are "programming mathematics". C is an assembly language for me.

| "C" is a particularly simple language.

Fully agreed.

Of course, every one (also those not knowledgable in C) know how to parse

   int *x[5]

I find

  (int *)[5] x

or

  (int[5]) * x

easier to understand.

Of course I could learn C and do a project to become fully acquaint with it. But that would probably cost me several months.

If, however programs were literate, I could perhaps even improve them without being an every day C programmer.

I hope you understand that this was my point and not whether someone can program in this or that language.

Programming a Turing machine is also a very simple, but not very practical if you your motivations lie in the implementation of mathematics.

Ralf