RE: [Axiom-developer] Live CD + Guess Package + Vmware

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Live CD + Guess Package + Vmware
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 23:58:09 -0400

On May 21, 2007 11:23 PM Alfredo Portes wrote:

> I created a live cd of Waldek branch with your guess package
> in case you need to demonstrate your program.

Let's avoid the use of personal names in reference to branches
in SVN unless the original author of the branch specifically
requests it. Actually I like to think of wh-sandbox as the best
version of Axiom that we have available right now even though
it is still under development.

> You can get it from:
>
> http://alfredo.axiom-developer.org/axiom.zip

Great! Thank you very much Alfredo.

> Actually the zip contains the vmware file to run it with
> vmware player. Like Bill pointed out in a previous email,
> this is a good way to have hyperdoc on windows, until a
> replacement/portable version is created.

My favorite mode of running hyperdoc on windows is via putty
X11 forwarding and Xming.

putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY

is an execellent Telnet and SSH client that runs on Windows.
I use it all the time as a direct replacement for ssh.

Xming http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming

is an amazing free implementation of X Windows server for
Windows. It allows X windows to co-exist peacefully and
artistically along with other windows on the Windows Desktop.

These two work together very well.

You need to configure vmware player so that it will allow
"remote" login to the linux running virtually on your machine.
Then after starting the virtual machine, you log in as if it
was a remote computer (putty can be configured to make this
quite seemless) and then start axiom at the first prompt.

Actually I use the free Microsoft Virtual PC program rather
than vmware player since I found it integrates better with
Windows in most cases and appears to do less drastic things
to my machine's configuration. Unfortunately when I tried
the last version of the DoyenCD I had a problem with booting
the version of linux contained on that CD.

Alfredo, are you using the same version of linux on this new
Live CD? Have you tried it with Virtual PC?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC