[Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode
Date: 22 May 2007 13:45:46 +0200

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

> Here's the two cent tour:

Oh, that was great!  It's not really what I'm used to, but maybe it could
accomodate the behaviour I like, to.Currently, I use emacs shell mode.  Here
goes:

* at times, I like to edit output.  For example, I like to mark some parts of
  the output with a different font, so that I can more easily focus my
  attention.  Sometimes I also rearange things a little.  Is this possible with
  your mode?  You write:

> Copying Input-Output Cell combinations
>
> Because Axiom mode in Emacs write protects it's output cells to avoid
> accidental deletion, (you can override the auto-line positioning of the up
> and down arrow keys with Alt-Up and Alt-Down, but it's awkward) there's a
> convenience key binding C-a c to copy the input-output combination where the
> cursor is positioned, or the previous complete cell if the cursor is on the
> input-only line at the bottom.

  so it sounds as though the answer is rather "no".  But I must admit I do not
  understand what C-a c does, neither M-up and M-down.  Does C-a c copy the
  input-output combination into the kill ring?  Maybe it would be possible to
  have a simple "magic-key-combination" that allows editing of output?  Or,
  maybe even better: that turns the cursor into a brush and marks the character
  under point blue if I hit space?  (That would be really useful for me!)  To
  actually edit output, copying it into a separate buffer may be the wiser
  choice anyway.

* I'd really like to have an easy way to send definitions etc. from one buffer
  (containing a .input file) to an axiom process.  There are two (small)
  problems with that:

  1) I think it's difficult to detect where a function definition starts and
     where it ends.  The MuPAD people told me that the would simple mark the
     definition boundaries themselves with some special characters.  I think,
     that's quite wise.  Maybe -- << and -- @ would make sense?  (They should
     be acceptable as comments, since I will often want to )read the input
     file, too.  Another shortcut that sends only the current line, and
     possible a third shortcut that sends the current region would also be
     good.

  2) When you try to yank a definition into the axiom buffer, you'll be
     disappointed, because the axiom interpreter doesn't seem to like multiline
     input, does he?  So, maybe you would need to save the input which should
     be sent to axiom into a temporary file and )read it.

In any case, I'll give it a try.  Many thanks,

Martin