Re: [Axiom-developer] lisp portability

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] lisp portability
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:57:03 +0200 (CEST)

> The distance from CLtL1 to ANSI is trivially small.
> The actual estimated lisp work effort is about a man-week, maybe two.
> It is a classroom exercise, not worth a "summer of code" project.
>
> The only difficult part is a minor extension to GCL for sockets.
> But since there are websites that are run from lisp this must work.

Tim, did you read what I wrote: core Axiom works with Ansi Lisps.
It took me probably slightly more than two man-weeks and you should
add to that time spent by Jurgen Weiss, Greg Vanuxiem, Gaby and
possibly others.  What I am talking about is "minor extension for
sockets" and file operations.  There were proposals to do this
in pure Lisp.  My conclusion is that the way to go (at least in
short term) is to keep C parts.

> If the task seems hard to you then I suspect the issue has more
> to do with your understanding of lisp than a language flaw.

> "A poor workman blames his tools"

Good workman knows which tool to use to solve problem.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden