[Axiom-developer] [ANN] yet a better version of the axiom mode for emacs

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [ANN] yet a better version of the axiom mode for emacs.
Date: 25 May 2007 04:39:58 +0200

Dear all,

below the result of today.  Although I really would like to stop now, there is
some rather important things missing.  If somebody (Jay?) could help with the
first item on the todo list, that would be wonderful.  Progress is as follows:

+ Parts of the code are a little cleaner now, I hope.  This concerns mainly
  moving around and looking for the prompt.

+ M-return now sends the current input to axiom and appends it instead of
  overwriting the old input.  Cursor movements modified.  Feedback appreciated.

+ )lisp (format t "(1) -> ") doesn't confuse the mode anymore.  Neither does

  abc_
(1) ->

  Multiline input is supported, by the way.

+ painting is now (more or less) confined to the output region, and copying
  output into another buffer preserves it. In particular, using enriched-mode,
  one can save the painted stuff to a file.  (Don't forget to switch off
  font-lock-mode!)

+ the banner is read only now, and can be copied to the kill-ring using M-k, if
  point is before the first prompt.

* I removed

  (defvar axiom-init-settings (list ")set message autoload off"))

  and related functionality, since it is provided by axiom via .axiom.input
  anyway.

Todo:

* For me, the following is *very* severe. Try:

    for i in 1..10 repeat ([j for j in 1..2000]; output "hi")

  in a usual shell buffer and in axiom mode.  Very unfortunately, the axiom
  mode currently accumulates all output and then displays it at once.  Since I
  use such constructs often to be able to check how far a computation got
  already, it makes the mode unusable for me.

  In fact, all of this waiting-for-output stuff should be rewritten, but I
  don't understand it enough.

* All the initialization code needs cleaning up.  I cannot really do it, since
  I have no idea what it does.

* Xemacs is not supported.  Anybody knows comint mode for xemacs?  It seems
  that they differ, it seems that comint-set-process-mark is not there?

* Still no way to send stuff from input files to the buffer.

* Still no LaTeX display.  Best thing would be if this could be switched on
  alternatively.

Still, I think it is time to put it into the distribution.  Waldek, would you do
this for me?

Many thanks,

Martin