Re: [Axiom-developer] backslash-newline in Makefiles.

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] backslash-newline in Makefiles.
Date: 27 May 2007 18:28:55 -0400

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen,
>
> On May 27, 2007 5:42 PM you wrote:
> >
> > Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> > > I may be wrong but believe those are solved problems in
> > > Axiom.build-improvements, Axiom.wh-sandbox, and
> > > Axiom.gdr-sandbox.
> > >
> > > It is nice to see them solved again.
> >
> > I know that.
>
> Of course this is a rather trivial instance and I don't think
> anyone means to overly sensitive to the issue but I do think
> it would be most curteous to make such remarks at the time of
> posting a patch and to refer to such earlier work if at all
> possible. It is often unpleasant to see work being re-done
> without any attribution.

The issue of attribution did not strike me.  I upgraded my tool-chain
last night, built silver, and noticed the build failed.  I figured out
what was wrong and explored possibilities.  I ended up just making the
required changes myself.

To be honest, Im not interested in trying to keep track of
build-improvments and wh-sandbox and ....

I am interested in silver, since if one thing is clear silver is the
`staging ground' for inclusion in gold.  As silver evolves I will most
happily pull and incorperate said changes in my working tree.

> > I looked first at wh-sandbox and build-improvments to see if I
> > could cherry-pick the changes which were required.  This appeared
> > to be more work than the rout I took.
> >

> What problems did you encounter when trying to cherry-pick?

I have not invested any real time into understanding the other
branches.  The _specific_ issue which my patch resolves did not appear
to be (from my perspective) handled by even a small handfull of
commits to those branches.  There is a lot of new machinery and
restructuring to the build system there.

It was far simpler for me to post a patch against silver then to
destructure the history of wh-sandbox and build-improvments in the
hopes of obtaining a clean patch.

> > It is not one of my priorities to merge build-improvments or
> > wh-sandbox with silver.
> >

> Given the current fractious sitation, I think we need to guard
> against making it worse. It is Tim's stated intention to continue
> to merge build-improvements into Silver.

This does not make anything worse.  Im just posting a patch against
silver.  Whats the big deal?

> Regards,
> Bill Page.

Sincerely,